Seahawks Insider Blog

Seahawks 20, Titans 13

The Seahawks moved to 5-1 after surviving a bumpy afternoon at home against the Tennessee Titans in a 20-13 win Sunday.

A fourth-quarter rally was kick-started by a backside throw to Marshawn Lynch. No Tennessee defender was near Lynch when he caught the pass. He finished with a 55-yard gain.

The Seahawks made it to the Titans’ 2-yard line before going backward. And backward. And backward.

Eventually, they had Steven Hauschka hit a 29-yard field goal.

Lynch ran up the middle for three yards out to push the Seahawks in front 20-10 with 7:37 remaining in the fourth quarter. Lynch finished with 19 carries for 65 yards. He also led the Seahawks in receiving with 78 yards.

Russell Wilson was 23-for-31 for 257 yards on the day.

The Seahawks defense had two interceptions on the day  -- one from Earl Thomas and another from Richard Sherman -- and a chance for at least two more.

Hauschka hit from 31 yards out to tie the score at 10 with 4:31 remaining in the third quarter.

The first half was strange and sluggish for the Seahawks.

After the Seahawks took a 7-3 lead, kicker Hauschka stuck himself in the way of kick returner Darius Reynaud. Reynaud blasted into Hauschka’s chest, bloodying the kicker’s face. Hauschka was helped off the field, then taken to the lockerroom and looked at for a concussion.

What seemed a minor problem at the time, became a disaster.

The Seahawks took over at the Tennessee 38-yard line with 1:01 remaining in the half. After a completion to running back Robert Turbin brought the Seahawks to the 2-yard line, they were forced to spike the ball to attempt a kick.

Without Hauschka, punter Jon Ryan went out to take the 21-yard field-goal attempt. Safety and special teams participant Chris Maragos was the holder.

Maragos bobbled the snap, grabbed it and began to run. He was being tackled as he appeared to try and throw the ball away. Instead, he fumbled. Titans’ cornerback Jason McCoutry picked up the fumble and returned it 77 yards for a touchdown with no time on the clock.

Lynch’s 1-yard second-quarter run on fourth-and-goal put the Seahawks in front, 7-3, with 2:41 remaining in the first half.