Here’s some more notes from this morning’s presser with Carroll
* Carroll said that Brandon Mebane will start at nose tackle and new addition Alan Branch will serve as the team’s 3-tech moving forward. Carroll seemed to indicated that once Colin Cole could be out for awhile. Once Cole is healthy, then both he and Mebane will compete for time at that position, with Mebane having the versatility to slide over to 3-tech. But for now, Mebane and Branch are the starters inside.
Carroll said that Branch is an underrated player who performed well against Seattle last season. Branch had five tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble against the Seahawks up in Seattle last year in the first game, and two tackles in the game down in Arizona.
“We’re going to play those two guys inside,” Carroll said. “The other aspect that Alan brings is that he brings the length that Red (Bryant) has, so he will back up at five-technique when we need him to.”
Be the first to know.
* The Seahawks will have padded practices every other day during training camp on the days the Seahawks only have one practice. The first padded practice is on Sunday.
* Carroll is upset with the rule that keeps players who just sign free agent deals from practicing until the new CBA is completed and the league year begins on Thursday.
“In this one instance, I just don’t understand how Tavaris (Jackson) and Sidney (Rice) and Robert (Gallery) and those guys can have a chance to be at their best, and best protected in just a number of days’ time,” Carroll said. “So I’m hoping that something happens here in the next couple of days with some consideration and understanding for that.”
* Carroll said that the Seahawks will lean on the experience of Gallery with the team’s young offensive line.
“Robert is a gifted kid as far as understanding schemes,” he said. “He will be the captain of the offensive line in that regard. We’re going to need him.”
Carroll also said he’s looking forward to seeing how Max Unger does at center.
* It also appears that veteran safety Lawyer Milloy will not be returning this season, although Carroll did not rule it out entirely. “I talked to Lawyer. Know that I love that guy. He’s one of my favorite guys. I’ve been with him for years and years. I told him at this tme we’re going to go with our guys that we have. He’s in great shape, he’s one of the best conditioned athletes in the history of the league, and he’s in incredible shape right now. If the opportunity arises where we can do something, he knows we’ll be the first to call him, but he’s got other clubs that could do the same.”
A couple notes from practice. Rookie free agent Doug Baldwin and corners Byron Maxwell and Richard Sherman made some nice plays during the morning practice.
Even with rookie offensive guard John Moffitt in camp, Paul Fanaika continues to work at right guard with the first unit.
Second-year safety Kam Chancellor also appears to be getting comfortable with the first unit and made a couple nice plays.
Restricted free agent offensive tackle Tyler Polumbus signed his tender and is in camp.