Editor's note: Brian McIntyre regularly covers the Seattle Seahawks and the rest of the NFL on his own football blog, and has graciously agreed to provide his weekly personnel files on the Seahawks here each week. We welcome him to Seahawks Insider.
Seahawks Mid-Season Defensive Personnel Review
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you'll never miss a local story.
Opponents Passing Plays (vs. Seahawks Personnel Grouping)
- Jennings, Trufant, Thurmond, Ness, and Cox have played exclusively as outside cornerbacks in base and 5+ defensive backs packages.
- Babineaux has manned the slot in 5+ defensive back packages, was one of two cornerbacks for one play in base defense vs. Oakland. The versatile Babineaux has also logged time as a strong safety in base and nickel packages this season.
- Thomas had played in every snap this season until missing the final play of the first half in Sunday’s loss to the New York Giants. Thomas returned to action, but played sparingly in the final quarter.
- Chancellor played sparingly the first month of his NFL career (5 snaps in 4 games) before emerging as a safety in “Bandit” after the bye. Chancellor picked up snaps at free safety for Thomas last week against the Giants.
- Lewis’ snaps have comes as slot corner in 5+ defensive back packages.
- The team’s leading tackler (45) this season, Tatupu played every defensive snap until exiting the Giants game in the 4th quarter. Tatupu had 193 snaps in an injury-plagued 2009.
- Herring has been the nickel linebacker next to Tatupu, and has also picked up snaps in base and short-yardage situations for Hawthorne & Curry, and when Hawthorne replaced Tatupu at middle linebacker against New York.
- Aside from one snap in nickel against the Giants, Hawthorne’s plays this season have been in base or short-yardage packages.
- Davis’ snaps have come as the defensive end in base and 5+ defensive back packages.
- Primarily the strong-side linebacker, Curry has also rushed the passer from defensive end and tackle positions on obvious passing downs.