Wednesday (Aug. 12)
Tacoma’s museum district features six museums to explore
Make it a day to explore Tacoma’s museums downtown.
▪ Get the kids busy at the Children’s Museum of Tacoma, 1501 Pacific Ave., Tacoma. There are lots of interactive exhibits, play programs and fun areas to expand little minds. Hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday and 10 a.m.-7 p.m. third Thursday. It is a pay-as-you-can admission. For more information call 253-627-6031 or go online to playtacoma.org.
▪ Hop down to Dock Street and check out the Foss Waterway Seaport, 705 Dock St., Tacoma. On display is the “Wunderkammer: Artifacts, False Memories & Projections” a contemporary art exhibition inspired by the Renaissance. It is open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday and noon-4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $20 per family, $8 adults, $5 seniors, students, military and children 5 and older. For more information call 253-272-2750 or go online to fosswaterwayseap;ort.org.
▪ Drive down Dock Street and make a stop at the Museum of Glass, 1801 Dock St., Tacoma. Currently on display is “Chihuly’s Venetians: The George R. Stroemple Collection” plus check out the working hotshop and other exhibits. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $15 adults, $12 seniors, students and military, $13 AAA members and $1 for EBT cardholders, $2 family of EBT cardholders. Go to museumofglass.org for more information.
▪ If you’re a car lover then check out the LeMay-America’s Car Museum, 2702 E. D St., Tacoma. Join in the “Cruise Ins” from 5-8 p.m. second Thursdays, show off your car or enjoy seeing classic cars. On display is “American Muscle: Rivals to the End.” Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily; admission is $16 adults, $14 seniors, military, $12 students, $8 ages 6-12 and free for children 5 and younger. Go to americascarmuseum.org
▪ The Tacoma Art Museum, 1701 Pacific Ave., is currently displaying “Roger Shimomura: An American Knockoff” through Sept. 13 and “Northwest in the West: Exploring Our Roots,” through Aug. 16. It is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Sundays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. third Thursdays. Admission is $35 family; $14 adults; $12 seniors, students, military; free 5 and younger. Call 253-272-4258 or go to tacomaartmuseum.org for information.
▪ Explore the exhibits “The American Soldier,” “People of the Adze” and “In the Spirit Contemporary Native Arts” at the Washington State History Museum, 1911 Pacific Ave. It is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays; admission is $11 adults, $8 seniors, students and military, free for 5 and younger and $1 for EBT cardholders. Go to washingtonhistory.org for more information.