People who’d like to help a charity that serves immigrants, refugees and low-income people can do so Thursday by dining out at nearly a dozen restaurants.
“FLAVOR: Stand up for immigrants, sit down for a meal” is in its fourth year. The event benefits Tacoma Community House. Select immigrant-owned or immigrant-friendly restaurants will donate at least a quarter of their receipts to the Tacoma-based charity.
The nonprofit hopes to raise $20,000 from 11 participating restaurants in Tacoma and Gig Harbor. Tacoma Community House serves 3,500 immigrants, refugees and low-income residents each year.
The restaurant business is full of immigrants, said Primo Grill executive chef and co-owner Charlie McManus, himself an immigrant of Ireland. The restaurant is participating in the fundraiser for the second year, and already he’s seeing an uptick in reservations.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News Tribune
“Part of it is the political climate for immigrants in our country has made it so people want to support immigrants,” McManus said. “We are proud of the diversity we have in our very small company here.”
Tacoma Community House provides a variety of services, including helping people find jobs, work on their GED and complete resumes, said Latasha Ware, outreach coordinator for Tacoma Community House.
“We have an immigration department that works with individuals to complete paperwork to bring family members over. We also have citizenship classes … to help people who are considering the naturalization test,” Ware said.
The following restaurants are participating:
▪ East & West Proctor, 2514 N. Proctor, Tacoma, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
▪ Gateway to India, 2603 Sixth Ave., Tacoma, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
▪ Il Lucano Ristorante Italiano, 3119 Judson St., Gig Harbor, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
▪ Indo Asian Street Eatery, 110 N. Tacoma Ave., Tacoma, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
▪ Indochine Asian Dining Lounge, 1924 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
▪ Infinite Soups, 445 Tacoma Ave. S., Tacoma, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
▪ Joeseppi's Italian Ristorante and Catering, 2207 N. Pearl St., Tacoma, 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
▪ Old Milwaukee Cafe & Dessert Company, 3102 Sixth Ave., Tacoma, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
▪ Primo Grill, 2701 Sixth Ave, Tacoma, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
▪ The Spar, 2121 N. 30th St., Tacoma, 11 a.m. to midnight.
▪ Vien Dong, 3801 S. Yakima Ave., Tacoma, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
For more information, visit tacomacommunityhouse.org/flavor.