Local

House goes up in flames but firefighters save family’s Christmas

A Federal Way family is homeless Sunday night but their Christmas was saved due to quick thinking firefighters.

When the lights went out in a home in the 1400 block of SW 352nd Court some of the six adults in the residence went to investigate, said South King Fire battalion chief Kevin Crossen.

The adults opened the home’s garage door and were immediately met with a wall of flame fueled by exploding fireworks.

The fire, reported about 5:40 p.m., destroyed the garage and smoke heavily damaged the rest of the house.

Two of the adults received minor injuries. Three children in the home were uninjured.

Firefighters searched the smoke-filled residence and made a last minute save.

“On the way out, the tree was right there, so we grabbed (the presents),” Crossen said. The family collected their rescued gifts.

Two vehicles were also damaged in the fire.

Craig Sailor: 253-597-8541, @crsailor

  Comments