Local

Closure of Emerald Queen casino operations extended; layoffs, furloughs announced

The Puyallup Tribe’s Emerald Queen Casino will stay closed for at least two more weeks in light of the continuing coronavirus outbreak in the state of Washington.

The continued closure will lead to job losses, furloughs and some pay cuts, according to the tribe in a news release issued Tuesday evening.

“We did not come to this decision quickly or lightly,” said the Puyallup Tribal Council in a statement included in the release. “We have looked at the situation from every angle. After long deliberation and consideration of all options, we believe this was a decision that had to be made.”

Pierce County’s COVID-19 case totals as of Tuesday had climbed to 377, with six deaths so far reported by the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.

The tribe’s casinos in the county closed March 16 for an initial two-week period.

According to the release: “During those two weeks, Tribal Council said employees would not experience a disruption in wages or benefits. The casinos employ about 2,400 people. During the continued shutdown, about 12 percent of employees are being laid off and about 73 percent are going on furlough.

“Employees will keep their medical benefits while on furlough and will be able to file for unemployment. Most employees were notified by March 31. Some remaining employees have taken voluntary pay cuts.”

The tribe is Pierce County’s seventh-largest employer, with more than 3,000 employees in its various ventures.

According to Tuesday’s announcement: “The Puyallup Tribal Council, the Tribe’s governing body, said Council, casino managers and medical professionals will re-evaluate conditions regularly to determine how soon the casinos can re-open while also protecting customers’ and employees’ safety.”

The Tribe owns two casinos, one on Pacific Highway in Fife and one on East 29th Street in Tacoma. When the Tacoma operation is ready to resume, it is expected to shift to the tribe’s new $450 million site at 2920 E. R. St.

This story was originally published April 1, 2020 at 5:11 AM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Full coverage of coronavirus in Washington

Debbie Cockrell
The News Tribune
Debbie Cockrell has been with The News Tribune since 2009. She reports on business and development, local and regional issues. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER