Local

Tacoma councilwoman displaced by house fire

Tacoma

Councilwoman displaced by house fire

Fire gutted Tacoma City Councilwoman Victoria Woodards’ home over Labor Day weekend.

The Tacoma Fire Department was called to Woodards’ home on South Burkhart Drive at 2:39 a.m. Saturday. Crews arrived to heavy black smoke coming from the single-story home, said fire department spokesman Joe Meinecke.

Fire investigators said the blaze was caused by an electrical malfunction. Preliminary estimates set the fire’s damage at $60,000-$70,000, but Meinecke provided an update late Wednesday that put the loss to the building and contents at $225,000.

Woodards said everyone got out of the home safely — even Gizmo, her dog. The home was insured.

A post on a fundraising website says Woodards lost everything in the blaze. Friends are seeking donations to help her recover.

kate.martin@thenewstribune.com

  Comments