Local

Man dies Friday in Tacoma’s South End after possible shooting, investigation continues

A man’s death on the 400 block of South 55th Street in Tacoma Friday night is being investigated as a homicide, according to the Tacoma Police Department.
A man’s death on the 400 block of South 55th Street in Tacoma Friday night is being investigated as a homicide, according to the Tacoma Police Department. Tacoma Police Department

A man is dead in Tacoma after reports of a possible shooting Friday night, according to a press release from the Tacoma Police Department. A suspect was taken into custody Friday night but has since been released based on information that is pending review from the prosecutor’s office, police spokesperson Shelbie Boyd told The News Tribune in an update around 10 a.m. Saturday.

Tacoma Police officers were dispatched to the 400 block of South 55th Street around 6:30 p.m. Friday and upon arrival discovered a man who was later pronounced dead by the Tacoma Fire Department. Lifesaving measures were administered, but were unsuccessful, police said.

As of 8:40 p.m. detectives and crime scene technicians remained on scene continuing their investigation, which is being treated as a homicide, police said.

During the initial investigation at the scene, police identified a suspect and he was taken into custody and held until detectives arrived, police said.

Boyd said Saturday morning the man was released based on evidence identified over the course of the detectives’ investigation. The case is still being investigated as a homicide, but it will be up to the prosecutor’s office to decide whether any charges follow, she said.

Police have no other suspects at this time, Boyd said.

This story was originally published June 15, 2024 at 9:37 AM.

Becca Most
The News Tribune
Becca Most is a reporter covering Pierce County issues, including topics related to Tacoma, Lakewood, University Place, DuPont, Fife, Ruston, Fircrest, Steilacoom and unincorporated Pierce County. Originally from the Midwest, Becca previously wrote about city and social issues in Central Minnesota, Minneapolis and St. Paul. Her work has been recognized by Gannett and the USA Today Network, as well as the Minnesota Newspaper Association where she won first place in arts, government/public affairs and investigative reporting in 2023.  Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER