The donations started pouring in and haven’t stopped.
When Laurie Young heard about the fires burning in Central and Eastern Washington, she started baking cookies.
Then she asked co-workers for money and went to Costco to buy supplies for the firefighters and residents who were affected. At the store people started handing her canned food and toiletries.
The money piled up and within two days, she and other volunteers collected 22,000 pounds of food and water that was delivered last week to the North Star Complex of wildfires north of Coulee Dam.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Now, volunteers are doing it a second time and have dubbed the giving effort “Fill the Truck.”
“People just want to give,” Young said. “It’s fun to watch a grass-roots effort grow and grow and grow. People want to be part of something that’s bigger than all of us.”
Fifteen drop-off sites have been set up in the Puget Sound area, including in Tacoma, Olympia, Lacey, Gig Harbor, Puyallup, Yelm, Auburn and Federal Way.
Donations, primarily nonperishable foods and toiletries, will be accepted until Sept. 12 or at gofundme.com/fillthetruck. Volunteers will deliver the goods the next day.
The North Star Complex of wildfires is 313 square miles and about 22 percent contained. It is mainly burning on the Colville Indian Reservation.
The Okanogan Complex of wildfires — the largest wildfire in state history — covers more than 470 square miles and is about 30 percent contained.
Below is a list of Pierce, Thurston and South King County locations where items can be dropped off:
▪ The Truck Shop, 1761 Auburn Way N., Auburn.
▪ City Hall Saloon, 35317 314th Way SE, Enumclaw.
▪ Roger Flygare & Associates, 1715 S. 324th Place, Suite 250, Federal Way.
▪ Costco, 10990 Harbor Hill Drive, Gig Harbor.
▪ Dr. Kim Rioux’s dental office, 4904 Borgen Blvd., Suite A, Gig Harbor.
▪ Abbey Realty, 4621 Lacey Blvd. SE, Lacey.
▪ Northwest MLS, 556 Lilly Road SE, suite D, Olympia.
▪ NexTitle, 102 N. Meridian, Puyallup.
▪ Puget Sound Massage & Rehabilitation, 1707 Third St., Puyallup.
▪ Connelly Law Offices, 2301 N. 30th St., Tacoma.
▪ Stewart Title, 300 Deschutes Way SE, Tumwater.
▪ RE/MAX Country, 206 Yelm Ave. W., Yelm.
Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653