A gas leak caused by digging for a residential remodeling project closed a portion of a Tacoma street Saturday morning.
Tacoma Fire responded to a ruptured gas line about 8:40 a.m. and closed the road along the 3000 block of South 15th Street.
Battalion Chief David McRoberts said the incident was caused by workers at a vacant home who were using a tractor to dig on the property. There were no evacuations and no one was injured, he said.
The road remained closed until Puget Sound Energy could respond and stop the leak.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
McRoberts said it’s important for crews on any project to contact gas companies and locate gas lines prior to digging.