Construction continues in Skansie Brothers Park and along Harborview Drive in downtown Gig Harbor resulting in a shift in travel lanes along Harborview Drive that will remain for the duration of the construction project.
The travel lanes on Harborview Drive were shifted to the west side of the road so construction workers can install safety shoring and place new storage pipes and install utilities required for the project.
The goal of the lane shift is to maintain two lanes of travel at all times and attempt to reduce the amount of time that flaggers and one lane traffic control will be required.
The city’s contractor, Stellar J Corporation (SJC), will be installing a 7-inch diameter and 84-inch-long horizontal storage pipe that will connect to the new wet well structure and used to transport waste water from the sanitary sewer main located in the street to the new wet well. This storage pipe was delivered to the site Monday.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Other changes have been implemented near the construction site include:
▪ The closure of the sidewalk adjacent to Skansie Park. Pedestrians are being rerouted to the sidewalk on the south side of Harborview Drive and a temporary crosswalk was installed. The closure will remain in effect through the duration of the project.
▪ A temporary restroom for Skansie Brothers Park is located next to the Skansie House. Other restroom facilities are located at the Martime Pier and Eddon Boat Park.
▪ The Fishermen’s Memorial has been temporarily removed from the park to a secure location and will be reinstalled during the final phase of construction.
Public access to Jerisich Dock will be maintained throughout the course of the construction project and downtown Gig Harbor remains open for business during construction.
The remaining work and timeline for the project is:
▪ October to January 2017 — Installation of a new lift station with increased emergency storage volume and improved reliability and pumping capacity to handle the anticipated growth.
▪ January to March 2017 — Construction of Welcome Plaza to include a new building that will consist of two family restrooms with showers, two public restrooms, and other facilities to support the boating community that utilizes Jerisich Dock.
▪ March to June 2017 — Construction of a new public plaza with seating, shaded areas, and open space, which centers around Gig Harbor’s Fisherman’s Memorial.
Construction updates for Skansie Brothers Park will be posted online at SkansieParkProject.com and through email updates from the city of Gig Harbor.
Questions can be directed to the city of Gig Harbor at 253-853-7618. To be placed on the email update list, contact Maureen Whitaker, executive assistant, at WhitakerM@cityofgigharbor.net.