Gateway: News

Fire nearly burns down Gig Harbor duplex

Firefighters rush to stop a house fire Tuesday afternoon in Gig Harbor. The blaze was possibly started when an unattended candle started a fire in a young girl’s bedroom. A mother and child safely evacuated the residence, located in the 7900 block of 54th Ave. NW in Gig Harbor, just before firefighters arrived and knocked down the blaze.
Firefighters rush to stop a house fire Tuesday afternoon in Gig Harbor. The blaze was possibly started when an unattended candle started a fire in a young girl’s bedroom. A mother and child safely evacuated the residence, located in the 7900 block of 54th Ave. NW in Gig Harbor, just before firefighters arrived and knocked down the blaze. lgiles@gateline.com

A mother and her toddler narrowly escaped a fire in their duplex early Tuesday afternoon in Gig Harbor.

Firefighters rushed to stop the house fire.

The residence, a duplex located in the 7900 block of 54th Ave. NW near Gig Harbor High School, was damaged when an unattended burning candle started a fire in the young girl’s bedroom, according to witnesses at the scene.

The mother and child safely evacuated the residence just before firefighters arrived and knocked down the blaze. The blaze commanded a full response from several fire crews in the city.

Investigators had not yet determined the official cause of the fire as of Tuesday afternoon.

  Comments