Holiday magic is everywhere on Gig Harbor’s downtown waterfront this holiday season.
▪ Deck the Harbor, presented by the Gig Harbor Downtown Waterfront Alliance, is a window decorating contest in which merchants are challenged to create imaginative holiday displays. People can stroll the harbor, enjoy the displays and vote for their favorite window in the People’s Choice voting. Businesses have been working creatively to add that touch of holiday magic to their windows. Votes will be accepted all month long through Dec. 31.
▪ On Thursday (Dec.10), the Alliance hosts its second annual Ugly Sweater Contest. Contestants should meet at the Skansie Park Christmas tree at 6 p.m. for photos, prizes and fun. Judges will award prizes in multiple categories including a $50 gift card from Tides Tavern as well as a few tacky gifts that no ugly sweater owner can live without.
▪ Holiday Hayrides with Santa return Friday and Saturday (Dec. 11 and 12). This event meets at Timberland Bank on Judson and operates from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Refreshments will be available at the bank, and rides are free. Snow is in the forecast along the route.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ The Alliance’s community caroling event, Hark the Harbor, takes place at 5:45 p.m. Sunday (Dec. 13) at the pavilion in Skansie Park. Songbooks and candles will be provided. Sharon Stearnes, a family-oriented entertainer and accomplished musician, will lead carolers with joyful holiday carols while awaiting the arrival of the Argosy Christmas Ship. The Olympia Youth Choir – Cantabile will be performing from the ship.
▪ The Gig Harbor Lions Club is sponsoring Giving Trees at businesses all over the downtown waterfront this holiday season. People have the opportunity to help make the holidays special for children of the less fortunate in the Gig Harbor area. Simply take a tag from the tree, purchase the “special wish” item on the tag, and return it to the business with the Giving Tree by Dec. 18. All gifts will be distributed by the Gig Harbor Boys and Girls Club and the YMCA.