Police beat: Two men behaving badly, and a fistful of fake dollars

Editor’s note: Compiled from reports to Tacoma police and the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.

Dec. 15: The 911 caller wanted the wrong kind of help, and emergency dispatchers weren’t inclined to give it to him.

Tacoma police responding to reported misuse of the 911 system drove to a retail complex in the 3100 block of South 38th Street. The caller was asking to be taken to jail, but his language grew more and more suggestive.

He liked the call-taker’s voice, he said. He told her to keep talking as he gratified himself. He called seven times in 40 minutes, telling call-takers to “be patient” and “keep talking.”

The exchanges continued until officers found the man, 30, in the parking lot of the complex shortly after midnight.

The man had been banned from the complex for a year after a previous incident. As officers cuffed him, he said they had no proof that he’d called, and that he’d done nothing wrong.

He said he’d been accused of sexual harassment before, and it led to a temporary commitment at a mental health facility. He said he wasn’t crazy, and that he just “had to do some things.”

Officers ran a records check on the man. He had a history of lewd behavior and exposing himself in public. He was booked into the Pierce County Jail on suspicion of telephone harassment and trespassing.

Dec. 13: The man said he didn’t know his money was funny. The sheriff’s deputy didn’t buy it.

The deputy found him in the 9900 block of Pacific Avenue, cleaning out a car that matched the description in a stolen-vehicle report.

The deputy cuffed the man, searched him and found three $20 bills that looked like obvious fakes. The man, 43, had used more of the bills to pay for the car a day earlier. The owner had reported the bad sale to police.

The man said he won the money playing pool, and normally didn’t carry cash. That was why he didn’t know the bills were fake, he said.

The deputy looked at the bills. They weren’t even good fakes. They were too small, had no watermarks and the coloring was off.

The man said the owner took the money at the point of sale, and didn’t complain. What about that?

The deputy said the owner had tried to call the man and demand the return of the car, but the man had refused. The man said he didn’t remember that.

The man had an active felony arrest warrant. Deputies booked him into the Pierce County Jail for it, and added suspicion of motor vehicle theft.

Dec. 12: The woman worked at the golf course bar. She knew the gray-haired man, a regular who liked her too much.

She wasn’t interested at the bar. She was even less interested when the man knocked on the front door of her apartment.

Tacoma police drove to an address in the 3500 block of South Mason Avenue and found the man, 49, in the parking lot. Asked for his name, the man refused to give it, saying several times, “I am my legal name.”

He couldn’t explain what he was doing at the apartment complex. Officers cuffed him and put him in a patrol car.

The woman, 30, told officers about her job at the bar. The man was a regular, she said. She had no romantic relationship with him. He helped her move a table to her apartment earlier in the year, she said.

Ever since, he’d been sending text messages and calling. She’d received anonymous flowers with a note that said, “I love you,” and later learned the man sent them. She’d blocked his phone number, but he was still leaving voice messages.

At Thanksgiving, she found a load of firewood on her front step. The man had left it. She asked him to leave her alone and stop calling, but he wouldn’t.

In a four-hour span, he sent her 13 rambling voicemails telling her he loved her.

Officers spoke to the woman’s boyfriend, who said he’d tried to make the man go away. The man had talked and talked, saying the boyfriend was the wrong man for the woman.

In the patrol car, the man refused to speak. Officers asked him no questions. His car was towed from the complex, and he was booked into the Pierce County Jail on suspicion of stalking.