Crime

Puyallup police search for teenagers in Pierce County bus shooting; motive still unclear

The shooters accused of firing multiple rounds at a bus passenger in Puyallup have not been arrested two days after the shooting.

Puyallup officers were dispatched to the 300 block of South Meridian at 4:42 p.m. Sunday after several shots were fired at a Pierce Transit bus headed southbound, The News Tribune reported.

“Two subjects exited the bus,” Police Chief Scott Engle previously said. “Immediately upon exiting the bus, they started firing multiple rounds at a subject who was seated in the rear of the bus. Those subjects ended up fleeing on foot.”

After the shooting, the driver took the bus away from the scene to a transit center on South Hill. The bus was damaged by multiple rounds, the story said.

The targeted passenger was not hurt, neither were the four other passengers or bus driver. The shooters were not found following a search Sunday.

A Puyallup police spokesperson said Tuesday that there were no updates to the case. Detectives are continuing to follow up on more leads as the investigation continues. The department anticipates sending out an update in the near future.

The alleged shooters are believed to be under 18 years old, and it is unclear what the motive was.

Puneet Bsanti
The News Tribune
Puneet Bsanti is the East Pierce County Reporter for The News Tribune. She started with the newspaper in 2023 as the breaking news reporter. After she graduated from Washington State University, she was an intern for the Bellingham Herald. Her work in breaking news was recognized by the Society of Professional Journalists in 2022. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER