Crime

Smoke forces evacuation at Orting Soldiers Home

Firefighters temporarily evacuated part of the Washington Soldiers Home in Orting on Thursday after an overheated fan sent smoke into the facility’s ventilation system.

None of the 93 residents of the building were injured, the state Department of Veterans Affairs said.

A staff member was treated on scene for smoke inhalation.

The smoke came from an exhaust fan motor that overheated in the attic about 2 p.m. in the home’s Nursing Care Building. All residents were helped out of the building while firefighters cleared it of smoke, which was mostly contained to the attic.

Staff and residents were allowed to return to the building about 3:30 p.m.

Adam Lynn: 253-597-8644

adam.lynn@thenewstribune.com

@TNTAdam

Staff writer Alexis Krell contributed to this report.

  Comments