A marijuana grow was found inside a Parkland house after a generator pumped the home dangerously full of carbon monoxide, knocking a man and a woman unconscious.
The 911 call came about 7 a.m. Friday after a man came to the house the 1000 block of 121st Street South and found a man and a woman passed out in a bedroom.
Central Pierce firefighters responded and found the man who had called and the unresponsive couple, who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
While looking for other victims, they discovered several pot plants in a back shed and summoned Pierce County sheriff’s deputies.
Be the first to know.
No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you'll never miss a local story.
The 911 caller told officials the power had been turned off the day before, so they opted to use a generator and moved it into the basement because it was loud.
A deputy went to switch off the generator, which was behind a barricaded door, while a firefighter took a carbon monoxide reading.
Finding it alarmingly high, the firefighters carried the unresponsive couple outside. The 37-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene; the woman was taken to an area hospital.
The caller was checked out because he had spent some time in the house trying to rouse the couple and summoning help.
The Medical Examiner’s Office found the man died of natural causes.
Deputies searched the property and found 101 marijuana plants in the yard and another 10 inside a detached garage, sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said.
Drug paraphernalia, methamphetamine, guns and a security system with cameras, motion detectors and a digital recorder were found as well.
An SUV belonging to the caller was searched. Inside were two stolen guns, a black ski mask, an improvised explosive device and marijuana, Troyer said.
A bomb team rendered the device safe.
Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653