Tacoma man robbed, held captive for 18 hours before escaping out bathroom window

A Tacoma man was kidnapped while getting into his car at his house, robbed and held captive for 18 hours before he escaped out a bathroom window, according to court documents.

Four people have been charged with the abduction, which took place about 11 p.m. Friday in the 2100 block of South J Street. He escaped Saturday evening.

Charged are Jason Branch, 31; John Harniss, 27; Zachery McGriff, 24; and Danielle Carter, 32. All pleaded not guilty to first-degree kidnapping and first-degree robbery and each was ordered jailed in lieu of $200,000 bail.

Harniss and McGriff also face charges of obstructing an officer.

Charging papers give this account:

The victim was getting into his car when Branch approached from behind and punched him in the stomach. He then was forced into his own car with the robbers.

While driving around with Carter behind the wheel, the group demanded the man’s wallet and cell phone and used his debit card to get money from an ATM.

The victim later told police he was never threatened with a weapon but at least one of the men had a shotgun.

He was held for several hours inside a home in the 2300 block of South J Street where Branch and Carter lived.

The group took him to sell Xbox items, hang out on Ruston Way and buy marijuana and shotgun shells before returning to the house.

Once there, Branch stood guard over the victim in the living room.

“He said he didn’t want to have to kill him but wouldn’t if he was cool,” charging papers show.

Branch punched the victim in the mouth, chipping two front teeth. He then went to a local hospital to get treatment for his hand and left Harniss and McGriff in charge of looking after the victim.

The victim asked to use a bathroom and was escaped out an open window. He ran home and called 911.

It’s unclear whether the victim knew the men but he told the police he knew Carter and sometimes gave her and her child a ride when her car broke down.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653