Central Avenue Elementary PTA will host Shredfest – an event to provide free personal shredding of personal financial documents and other sensitive records — from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday May 21. The event, sponsored by Columbia Bank, takes place at Central Avenue Elementary School,4505 104th St E., Tacoma. Central Avenue is part of the Franklin Pierce School District.
To avoid having your sensitive information compromised, security experts recommend shredding of the following types of materials:
▪ Old documents: Papers that carry your Social Security number, birth date, signature, account numbers, passwords or PIN numbers.
▪ Banking: Canceled or unused checks. Shred deposit slips and ATM and credit card receipts, once you receive your monthly statements.
▪ Credit Cards: Pre-approved credit card applications and incentive/gift checks from credit card companies.
▪ Medical: unneeded medical bills.
▪ Investments: Investment account statements.
▪ Obsolete I.D. cards: Expired driver's licenses, medical insurance cards and passports
Individuals can bring up to two file boxes or three grocery bags full of documents to be shredded. Donations will be accepted for the Central Avenue PTA, the school’s STEM program, and other school activities.