Military News

Drowning of service member prompts shutdown of all Joint Base Lewis-McChord beaches

Two Chinook helicopters from Joint Base Lewis-McChord fly over American Lake in this file photo. A JBLM service member drowned in the lake on Monday, July 15.
Two Chinook helicopters from Joint Base Lewis-McChord fly over American Lake in this file photo. A JBLM service member drowned in the lake on Monday, July 15. Courtesy Britnee Patjens

Joint Base Lewis-McChord has shut down all of its beaches for a safety review following the drowning Monday of a service member.

“We just want to make sure that we’re doing things by the numbers, and we’re concerned about the safety of all our servicemen and women, their families,” JBLM spokesperson Gary Dangerfield said Wednesday. “So we’re just going to take a step back and take a look at how we do business.”

Dangerfield would not provide any further information on the service member. The person drowned at an enclosed JBLM beach at American Lake, he said.

While base swimming pools have lifeguards, its beaches do not, he said.

This story was originally published July 17, 2024 at 4:15 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Instagram on The News Tribune

Craig Sailor
The News Tribune
Craig Sailor has worked for The News Tribune since 1998 as a writer, editor and photographer. He previously worked at The Olympian and at other newspapers in Nevada and California. He has a degree in journalism from San Jose State University.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER