Five good and bad things about carving a 51st state out of Eastern Washington and calling it Liberty, as two Spokane area legislators propose.
1. Bad – Westsiders would forfeit some valued symbols: the state fruit (apple), state vegetable (Walla Walla sweet onion) and state waterfall (Palouse Falls).
2. Good – Eastsiders would finally feel the proud thrill of electing one of their own to serve as governor.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News Tribune
3. Bad – That governor might be six-term state Rep. Matt Shea, a militia sympathizer from Spokane Valley who has distributed a Holy Army manifesto.
4. Good - Eastsiders could fulfill their dream of adopting an official state rifle. (Current leader on Liberty State website poll: the AR-15.)
5. Bad – A classic interstate college football rivalry would be lost, and the Liberty State Cougars sounds wrong in every way.