Five prayers or moment-of-silence reflections on Memorial Day:
1. For Sgt. 1st Class Matthew McClintock and Lt. David Bauders, two Washington National Guardsmen who died in combat zones this year. And for hundreds of other Washington service members who gave their lives through the generations.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2. For Stan Nacarrato, aka Mr. Tacoma, who saved minor-league baseball in Tacoma and died last week at 88. And for all others who spent their lives making their hometowns better.
3. For the three U.S. Forest Service firefighters killed on duty last summer: Richard Wheeler, Andrew Zajac and Tom Zbyszewski. And for Daniel Lyon Jr., the pride of Puyallup, still recovering from critical burns.
4. For the “Fallen Four” – Lakewood Police Sgt. Mark Renninger, Officer Tina Griswold, Officer Ronald Owens and Officer Greg Richards. In November, it will be seven years since you were shot down. We haven’t forgotten.
5. 5 For 1-year-old Sayvon Jordan Jr., 1-year-old Malijha Grant, 3-year-old Nehemiah Bonds and every other South Sound child who died from abuse, gunfire, house fire or in any way at all. Memorials should never have to be written for those so young.