Bo Bichette's Mets Future in Question Amid Ongoing Struggles
The New York Mets are not living up to expectations to start the 2026 MLB season. They are 20-26 entering a four-game series against the Washington Nationals on Monday and are in last place in the National League East.
With an MLB-worst .644 OPS and seven games out of a wild-card spot, the Mets are in need of someone to step up. So far, New York hasn't gotten much production from third basemanBo Bichette. Through 46 games, the two-time All-Star is slashing .210/.262/.269 with a .531 OPS.
During his time with the Toronto Blue Jays, Bichette established himself as one of MLB's most consistent players. He finished with an above-.800 OPS in six of his seven seasons with the Blue Jays.
He was the Mets' big splash this past offseason, signing a three-year, $126 million contract. While Bichette has been a healthy piece of a New York lineup that continues to suffer injuries, his production on the field hasn't been impressive.
While the contract runs through 2028, analyst Ken Rosenthal suggests that Bichette's time with the Mets may end much sooner with opt-outs after the 2026 and 2027 seasons.
"He has the opt-outs in the contract after year one and year two, so effectively, he could leave the Mets after one season, re-enter the free agent market at age 29, and in a weak free agent market, maybe hit it even bigger than he did this past offseason," Rosenthal said on "Foul Territory." "I would bet that's in Bo Bichette's head a little bit too, how could it not be? He is effectively in his free agent year again."
Bo Bichette's contract could be messing with his head, says @Ken_Rosenthal.
— Foul Territory (@FoulTerritoryTV) May 18, 2026
"He's effectively in his free agent year again." pic.twitter.com/a7idZA77F4
The Mets have yet to reap the rewards of making Bichette MLB's highest-paid third baseman in terms of yearly salary ($42 million). If the 28-year-old fails to turn things around, then an opt-out may be preferred on each side.
Related: Blue Jays Make Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Decision Before Tigers Game
Copyright 2026 The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 9:05 AM.