When the Yankees are Aiming For Jose Caballero to Return
It sounds like the New York Yankees are close to getting their spark plug shortstop back from the injured list.
On Tuesday, manager Aaron Boone told Jomboy Media's Talkin' Yanks podcast that Caballero (fractured right middle finger) played catch yesterday and the hope is that he will be activated from the IL on Friday.
Aaron Boone tells us that the hope is for Jose Caballero to be activated on Friday when he's eligible
— Talkin' Yanks (@TalkinYanks) May 19, 2026
He said "we'll see" when asked about Anthony Volpe staying up in the big leagues after Caballero returns pic.twitter.com/mOHwmd474V
Caballero fractured his right middle finger after diving back into first base on a pick off attempt against the Milwaukee Brewers on May 10. He came off the bench to pinch run the following night, but was caught stealing to end the game in a defeat to the Baltimore Orioles. The Yankees placed Caballero on the IL the next day on May 12.
Caballero claimed the Yankees' starting shortstop job this season after slashing .259/.320/.400 with a .720 OPS, four home runs, 13 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 41 games.
As a result, former top prospect and ex-starting shortstop Anthony Volpe was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre at the conclusion of his rehab assignment on May 4. Volpe had been rehabbing from offseason shoulder surgery that knocked him out for the first month-plus of the season.
After Caballero went on the IL, Volpe returned to the big-leagues to re-claim the shortstop job in the interim. However, Boone has said that Caballero will be the starting shortstop again once he returns from the shelf.
That being said, Volpe has performed well since coming back to the majors. In five games, Volpe is 4-for-13 (.308 average) with a .550 on-base percentage, a .462 slugging percentage, a 1.012 OPS, three RBI and seven walks.
It's possible that Volpe could remain on the Yankees' major league roster and assume a utility man role in the infield. But Boone said "we'll see" when asked about that subject by the Talkin' Yanks podcast.
Boone did go on to praise Volpe's at-bats and impact on the base paths since being called back up.
The Yankees currently have infielder Max Schuemann on the roster, who has minor league options. The team could opt to keep Volpe on the 26-man squad over Schuemann.
New York has also gotten little offensive production from third baseman Ryan McMahon (.183 batting average). Volpe could potentially see time at the hot corner if he is comfortable there defensively, thus taking at-bats away from McMahon.
The good news is that Caballero should be back by this weekend. The bad news is that the Yankees will have a tough decision to make upon his activation.
The Yankees are 29-19 and three games back of the first place Tampa Bay Rays in the American League East. They have three more games with the Toronto Blue Jays before the Rays come to town for a three-game series this weekend.
Copyright 2026 Athlon Sports. All rights reserved.
This story was originally published May 19, 2026 at 10:55 AM.