High School Sports

Trevion Brown’s big shots lift Lincoln to 77-70 double-OT win over Foss

VIDEO: Lincoln, Trevion Brown win double-OT thriller over Foss

Trevion Brown and Trevante Anderson each score 20 points and Lincoln holds off Foss' rally to win 77-70 in double overtime. Roberto Gittens led Foss with 18 points.
Up Next
Trevion Brown and Trevante Anderson each score 20 points and Lincoln holds off Foss' rally to win 77-70 in double overtime. Roberto Gittens led Foss with 18 points.

Just another high school basketball game between two Tacoma schools.

With all the heart-throbbing, back-and-forth, big plays and multiple overtimes included.

Lincoln had all the momentum, lost it, but got it back when Trevion Brown hit the game-tying shot to send the game to a second overtime and then connected on a 3-pointer from about five feet behind the line in the second OT to put it away.

He helped lift the sixth-ranked Abes to a 77-70 victory over Foss at a packed Lincoln High School on Friday night.

“It’s a town rival and they want to beat us just as much as we want to beat them,” said Brown, who tied Trevante Anderson for a team-high 20 points. “It’s so competitive that it just brings out the best in us.”

Just as expected.

“That’s just Foss-Lincoln,” Foss coach Mike Cocke’ said. “(Lincoln coach) Aubrey (Shelton) and I kind of joke that we know it’s going to come down to the last couple of possessions.”

Even though Foss (4-2, 3-1 3A Narrows) trailed by 13 points at halftime.

Brown had a chance to end the game in regulation, but twice missed the front end of a one-and-one with less than 30 seconds to play.

Foss freshman Daeshawn Wayne hit a stepback 3-pointer, then two free throws to cut Lincoln’s lead to 54-52. And after Brown missed his free throw, Foss’ Demetrius Crosby was fouled with one second remaining.

He hit the first free throw, Lincoln (5-1, 3-0) called a timeout to try to ice him, and then he came back and sank the second to tie the game — despite the Falcons trailing by 10 points to start the fourth quarter, and 54-45 with less than three minutes to go.

Foss ended the fourth quarter on a 9-0 run.

“We probably played our worst half of the year in the first half,” Cocke’ said. “But we knew what we did wrong, and I thought our guys did a good job at halftime listening to what we needed to change.”

What changed were turnovers and settling for jump shots. Foss was a new team after the first half.

The Falcons took their first lead since early in the first quarter when Roberto Gittens, who finished with a team-high 18 points, hit a pair of free throws to start the first overtime.

Le’zjon Bonds’ fast-break 3-pointer put Foss ahead 60-58, and Damani Kelly followed with a three-point play, only he missed the free throw.

He connected on the first of two free throws two possessions later, but missed the second. Bonds appeared to come away with the ball, and it appeared the referees had called a foul that would have sent him to the line for two free throws. He and the Foss bench shouted in excitement, only for the call to have changed and Bonds was called for the foul, instead.

Cocke’ took exception.

“There were some calls down the stretch that didn’t go Foss’ way that probably should have,” Cocke’ said. “Our guys played with so much heart, but I feel like unfortunately some of the calls changed the outcome of the game.”

The call against Bonds sent Lincoln’s Dionte Simon to the line at the other end. He hit both free throws, then Brown forced a turnover on the ensuing inbounds pass with 13 seconds to play.

Shelton drew up a play for Brown, he attacked to his left, jumped through two defenders, swung the ball in midair from his right hand to his left and finished to tie the game and force a second overtime.

“That just showed such a huge growth in his maturity and leadership,” Shelton said. “For him to take that big step — even though some things had gone bad — he bounced back and was a leader and made plays. That just shows the leadership he has.”

Lincoln didn’t trail in the second overtime, but Brown’s deep 3-pointer gave the Abes a 70-67 lead and Brandon Brown followed with a three-point play to seal the win.

That after Lincoln suffered its first loss of the season last weekend against Cleveland, where Shelton said his team fell apart at the end.

“We were pointing fingers at each other, but we really talked about using that as a learning experience,” Shelton said. “Even though we were down and out tonight, guys were talking each other up. That positive mindset goes a long way.”