Seahawks’ out-of-nowhere week continues: Connor Williams abruptly retires. Personal issues
This week was not in the rookie head-coaching handbook for Mike Macdonald.
Days after he and the Seahawks cut starting linebacker Tyrel Dodson from the middle of the defense, the man in the middle of offense has walked away from the team, the NFL and the profession.
Starting center Connor Williams abruptly retired this week, citing undisclosed personal reasons.
The 27-year-old veteran of seven NFL seasons never came back from the Seahawks’ bye last week. He missed practiced all this week and informed Macdonald, general manager John Schneider and the Seahawks he was leaving football.
“Connor earlier this week decided to retire,” Macdonald said following practice Friday for the 4-5 Seahawks’ game Sunday at the San Francisco 49ers (5-4).
“Personal reasons. We respect that. ...We are going to honor his wishes, and keep all those reasons and conversations private, for obvious reasons. And, wish him the best.”
Macdonald said Olu Oluwatimi will start Sunday at center against the 49ers defensive front that has dominated Seattle in San Francisco’s six consecutive wins over three seasons in the NFC West rivalry. Oluwatimi entered training camp this summer as the favorite to be the Seahawks’ center for this season. But he did not practice or respond well to the opportunity.
Offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb said Thursday Oluwatimi has been a changed player and man since the spring, since the team signed Williams in August to replace him.
“Man, Olu — I think since Connor has gotten here, Olu has really stepped up, and his competition with himself has (gone) up,” Grubb said. “The way he pushes himself at practice and how he prepares and gets ready for a game I think really has changed.
“I just feel like, honestly, that he’s a different guy than he was in OTAs. I feel like it was kind of him growing as a young player and realizing how difficult it is to win a job in the NFL. I feel like instead of him backing down to that challenge, he’s really stepped up to it.”
Williams was 8 1/2 months removed from reconstructive knee surgery when he signed in mid-August. He played four seasons as the Dallas Cowboys’ start left guard, 2018-21, after that team drafted him in the second round out of Texas. The Miami Dolphins moved Williams to center for the 2022 season with them.
He was halfway through his one-year, $4 million contract when he decided to retire. He got $2.98 million guaranteed for playing nine games for Seattle.
Williams told The News Tribune last month he was disappointed in himself for playing below his standards since he joined the Seahawks. He was beaten often off the snap by charging defensive linemen. He also had multiple bad snaps far over Smith’s head in shotgun formation. Against Buffalo two games ago he stepped on the quarterback’s foot after a direct snap, causing Smith to fall and ruin Seattle’s fourth-and-goal play from the 1-yard line.
The team will make roster designations for Williams’ retirement Saturday, and have another player on the 53-man roster active to play at San Francisco Sunday.
“I’d rather keep it private with Connor and the things that he’s working through,” Macdonald said, adding this week was the first time he and the Seahawks became aware Williams was thinking of quitting the sport.
“I didn’t come to work expecting it.
“But, look, the situation is what it is. Just have to make the best of it, and move on. ...Personal reasons.
“It’s out of everybody’s control. Got to honor it.”
This out-of-nowhere news came after the Seahawks unexpectedly waived Tyrel Dodson. He had played 98% of the team’s defensive snaps as the middle linebacker then, for the last two games, weakside inside linebacker.
“It’s exactly how we planned it,” Macdonald deadpanned about this 49ers game week.
He flashed a wry smile.
“How we draw it up.”
This story was originally published November 15, 2024 at 2:13 PM.