Two East Pierce firefighters were hurt Thursday battling a blaze at a Lake Tapps house.
Crews were called about 4:15 p.m. to the 2000 block of Tacoma Point Drive East, where plumes of smoke were showing from the home.
The residents and their dogs escaped before firefighters arrived.
Downed and arcing power lines at the house made firefighters’ work harder and more dangerous, according to the fire union’s Facebook page.
Never miss a local story.
While trying to douse flames, a firefighter experienced an equipment malfunction that led to a medical emergency. Fellow firefighters helped him out of the burning house and he was taken to a hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
A second firefighter was treated at the hospital for unknown injuries.
Both are expected to be OK.
Investigators have not determined what started the fire. The house suffered significant damage.
Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653