A 63-year-old Graham man died Monday in a house fire when he was unable to escape.
A medical condition might have kept the man from getting out of the home, Graham Fire & Rescue spokesman Steve Richards said.
Pierce County medical examiners identified the man as Criss Blackwell, 63.
The fire happened about 11:15 a.m. in the 19000 block of 81st Avenue Court East, and appears to have started in the man’s bedroom, Richards said.
Never miss a local story.
Blackwell was smoking in bed, which caused the blaze, the fire marshal determined.
A family of three adults sleeping or napping at the home awoke to smoke alarms. Two family members got out safely and called 911, telling the dispatcher Blackwell was still inside. One of the two who made it to safety tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire.
When firefighters arrived, they found Blackwell’s body.
The other family members suffered minor injuries, including smoke inhalation, Richards said. A fourth family member was in a trailer on the property at the time.
Firefighters kept the blaze at the one-story house from spreading to other homes, Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said.