Movie-theater complex billed as cornerstone of Tacoma Mall makeover might be dead
A project that was set to propel the redevelopment of a portion of the Tacoma Mall after the closure of Sears appears to be shelved.
Plans for the Marcus Theatre 10-screen multiplex are not moving forward, based on a review of the company’s annual report filed last month with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Marcus Corp., in its annual report for fiscal year 2020 filed March 5, noted, “Plans discussed previously for a new theatre in Tacoma, Washington, have been abandoned.”
Levelset, a data firm that provides lien services in the construction industry, located and reviewed the filing, which it shared with The News Tribune.
Mari Randa, media representative for Marcus, in an emailed response Wednesday to questions about the project, was less definitive about the project’s demise.
“We are still involved in discussions surrounding this project,” Randa said. “We hope to have additional clarity in the coming weeks and can provide an update at that time.”
Plans for the theater first surfaced in July 2019 with initial permits filed with the city. It would have been the first Pacific Northwest location for the company, based in Milwaukee, and was touted as “a foot in the door” of the U.S. market for Canada-based NGC Constructors Ltd., which announced its role in the project in October 2019.
At least one worker on the project told The News Tribune he was notified this week by NGC that the project had been canceled, “and to negotiate our final bill.”
NGC representatives did not respond to request for comment.
The Tacoma project was one of a handful Marcus has pumped the brakes on, according to the filing:
“During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2020, we ceased operating one six-screen Movie Tavern theatre due to the approaching expiration of its lease, we sold one 7-screen budget cinema and we agreed upon terms related to a termination of our agreement to build a new theatre in Tacoma, Washington.”
The site of the former Sears at the mall was demolished in April 2019 to make way for new buildings to include the theater, shops and restaurants.
Marcus Corp., which operates a chain of theaters and also hotels and resorts, saw closures and restrictions affect its properties nationwide in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Milwaukee Business Journal reported in August that the company received more than $13 million in the Paycheck Protection Program.
At the end of 2020, it operated 89 movie theaters with 1,097 screens in 17 states, according to its filing, along with eight wholly owned or majority owned-and-operated hotels and resorts in three states. It also managed 10 hotels, resorts and other properties for third parties in seven states.
No word for now as to the fate of other shops earlier named as also coming to the site, including Nordstrom Rack and Ulta.
Pat Beard, business development manager with the City of Tacoma, said via email the overall project still is moving forward and referred further questions to Simon representatives.
Representatives for Simon Property Group, which owns the mall, did not respond to requests for comment.
This story was originally published April 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM.