Rap music promoter charged with killing soldier outside Tacoma nightclub. 17 rounds fired

The man who fatally shot a soldier outside a Tacoma nightclub Sunday is a rap music promoter who was throwing dollar bills inside the club before starting a fight with the soldier in the parking lot, according to court documents.

Police do not believe the Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier, Daquan Foster, 22, had any contact inside the club with the promoter, Marshall Marion Wilson, 34, of Kent.

Pierce County prosecutors charged Wilson on Thursday with second-degree murder, first-degree assault and unlawful gun possession. He pleaded not guilty at his arraignment.

John Sheeran, assistant chief criminal deputy for the Prosecutor’s Office, told the court Wilson has prior convictions, including for first-degree assault in King County in 2002.

And in 18 cases he had warrants for his arrest, Sheeran said, in asking bail to be set at $2 million.

Court Commissioner Meagan Foley agreed to that amount.

The fight between the two men started about 1:40 a.m. as Foster, his wife and two friends left the club in the 8400 block of South Hosmer Street and walked to their car.

This is the video "Griffeyz on Swing," featuring Marshall Wilson, also known as Hermes Hush.

Wilson’s group had not interacted with Foster inside the club, but Wilson and his friends called attention to themselves by throwing $1 bills into the air, prosecutors said.

According to charging papers:

It’s unclear what started the argument but Foster’s wife heard him exclaim that something hit his face before she turned and saw him fighting with Wilson.

She grabbed her husband’s arm and told the men to stop fighting. A second man, later identified as Wilson’s friend, approached and pulled out a handgun.

Foster’s wife “told officers that she and her husband turned and ran toward their car, which was parked at a nearby gas station, when the shooting started,” according to charging papers.

Police believe Wilson and his friend fired at the couple because they found 17 shell casings from two different guns at the scene.

Foster was struck several times and later died at a Tacoma hospital. His wife was shot in the thumb.

When Wilson was arrested Wednesday in Kent, he told detectives he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and can’t remember what happened at the club on the night Foster died.

Foster, a father of one, originally was from New York. Loved ones declined to speak with reporters Thursday outside court.

Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653

Related stories from Tacoma News Tribune