Gateway: News

Sparks could fly as Gig Harbor debates limiting fireworks to July 4 only

If you were looking to break out the fireworks for this year’s Fourth of July in Gig Harbor, an upcoming city council meeting is one you’ll want to pay attention to.

The city has said it will be considering reducing the hours of allowable discharge of fireworks from the current four days, July 1-4, to one day only on Independence Day, July 4. The issue will be discussed at the council meeting on April 12.

The first reading of the ordinance will be at that meeting and then would be potentially voted on at the subsequent meeting on April 26.

Laura Pettitt, communications director for the city, told The Gateway the city wants to hear from all interested parties.

“Both parties feel very strongly about it. People that are for fireworks feel very strongly about not limiting. People that are against fireworks, dog owners, are very passionate about limiting it,” Pettitt said. The council, she said, “is going to consider it all. I don’t think the council has decided anything either way.”

In 2016, the city had reduced the window for fireworks to between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. from July 1 to July 3 and between 9 a.m. and midnight on July 4. Violators could be fined $1,000, though city officials have previously expressed a reluctance to impose fines as they would “prefer to educate” fireworks enthusiasts.

The current changes would eliminate July 1-3 and leave the hours of 9 a.m. to midnight on July 4 untouched. The ordinance is still considered a draft that is still being worked out and the city is looking to hear from the community before proceeding.

“We’re just taking public opinion and taking the temperature of everyone who wants to provide their thoughts,” Pettitt.

There is a concern that the aftermath of fireworks can cause potential headaches for those left to pick up after the damage.

Last year, a neighborhood fireworks display was reported to have malfunctioned and sent a firework through the window of a residence. In 2016, fireworks were believed to have caused two structure fires totaling more than a hundred thousand dollars of estimated damage.

The city will be accepting public comment on the proposed changes by email at mayorandcouncil@cityofgigharbor.net prior to April 12 with your position or thoughts on the issue.

Public comments will also be accepted over Zoom or by calling in. All this information can be found on the city’s website at www.cityofgigharbor.net/Calendar.aspx?EID=1558.

Chase Hutchinson
The News Tribune
Chase Hutchinson was a reporter and film critic at The News Tribune. He covered arts, culture, sports, and news from 2016 to 2021.You can find his most recent writing and work at www.hutchreviewsstuff.com
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER